Friday, September 21, 2012

Ahead of the game


Hello party people well it is late Friday and I am so behind on getting a post out. So have any pinners came across this awesome snowman pic yet?
                    
Spindle Snowman

I was so excited when I saw this picture that I clicked away and was so disappointed when it only lead to a purchase website for one of the spindles for $20 which are sold out. Yikes, there's no way hubby would let me get buy with buying one of these babies. But the I saw the light through the clouds, after reading the comment about how they are just $3 lowes. Since we have been spending oodles of time at our local lowes, I had to take a detour through the lumber department and I found a beautiful stack of said three dollar spindles just ripe for the picking. I grabbed one up and took it home determined to make one of my own.

Luckily during house renovations there are lots of scrap pieces of wood to play with.
 I saved two pieces measuring 6x5 and 7x6 for the base and a trim piece measuring 4x3, originally I eye balled all this when I got started because I had no idea if this would even turn out. Including your spindle it takes 4 pieces to put together the main body.
 First cut off 3 inches from end of the spindle this will become your top hat. Now my hubs helped me with this part I had to figure out how to get the top hat together and still be able to attached it to the body with out seeing a screw. Oh don't forget to assemble your base to the body before you paint, I ended up rolling mine around since I forget this step first and got running paint.
 He drilled a small hole and inserted gauged wire... see how it came together, leaving about 3 inches out so you can insert that part into the snowman body. Paint it black or which ever your preference.

 Drill another how into the "head" of the spindle, using an adhesive I went with hot glue.
 Its really coming together now, so there is no right or wrong way to paint this, I went with the traditional snowman face. Added some burlap to the hat brim, button with a star, a gingham scarf and some nail arms. I also gave some of the edges a light sanding. He stands 36 inches and I plan to use him for outside decor this winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment