Monday, September 17, 2012

I see a sign

Happy Monday glorious crafters. We had a very busy weekend, it was quite messy. Home renovations make seem to get messier than cleaner has you go along but progress is being made and I couldn't be happier.


So I mentioned we tore out all the old cabinets in the new house, well hubs wanted to save some for his man space in the garage. I did manage to snaggle a few cabinet doors from ones that didn't make it out whole. I set out to make something, a lovely sign.
  I've tried lots of shabby painting ideas but I came across one I had yet to try using a spray painting technique found HERE. I roughed up my work surface and applied the Vaseline as per the tutorial, note to self: Don't apply it in the hot sun, cause the stuff melts....oops.
  My first application didn't turn out so hot pun intended because of the melting goo, I had to apply a second coat after I wiped off the Vaseline with a towel it still left enough residue for me to sand those areas down.

 Above pictures is after one failed attempt and my second coat once sanded, I really like the rubbed through look. Which can be achieved using beeswax as well, we just happened to have friends who had bees and supplied us some. If you have questions about the technique ask away.
   On with the show, as you see I applied a crackle glaze I had. We purchased a container of the crackle two years ago and kept tight it will last me through many projects. I applied one good coat of the crackle, let dry completely then carefully applied my paint choice. You have to be careful when applying the one paint coat, it has to be a thick continuous coat with out having to go back over it- if you do it will disturb the affect and you'd have to start over.

Letting everything cure, I then mixed some red acrylic with black for a deep color and wrote my chosen phrase over the crackle, complete with a sealant of choice. Since this was a cabinet there was a hole from the knob that I wanted to utilize, I took another matching knob and put it in place so this will be a multifunctional piece.


I'm so ready to decorate with all my pieces and once I do I'll make a page so you could tour my house. If your doing demo and come across random pieces, save them you never know what they could be. I hope this tutorial has started your Monday off on the right foot. Have a sensational day!

No comments:

Post a Comment