Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Red, White and Blue

  Hello it's Wednesday. Are you as ready for the weekend already like I am? Well yesterday marked the 11th anniversary of 9/11, the time has flown and many are still reflecting on the tragic time the USA went through. Thank you to all the proud men and woman who were apart of the efforts to build up our country during that time and for all the Military that are still serving for it as well.
 In remembrance of the USA I wanted to make something red, white and blue. If it isn't obvious by now I heart all things primitive especially Americana decor. My awesome mother in law worked an auction over the weekend, she goes through the throw away pile and she scored me this awesome piece.
  I forgot to take a picture before I cut of the hearts. I do love hearts but I didn't think it went with the feel I was going for. I'm not really sure what the official name of this beauty is but I plan on using it as a magazine holder. I took a trusty jig saw and hacked off the unwanted hearts.


 I love visiting the discount paint section in any hardware store, you can get mixed up paints for 3/4 the original price. I had a tan color that covered once really well, with the hotter weather it doesn't take long for paint to dry and I was able to get this done in just a few hours.
 I used a freezer paper stencil it ironed right onto the wood, so cool! It did rise up a small bit from the wood I don't know if its because the humidity or the paint. It still got the job done and I would use the technique again.  I used some helpful info found on wikipedia on the USA and a Americana flag for the other side.



I painted the blue square and let it dry before I put the flag down so the stars would be visible.



Here it is almost finished I decided that it just need a little bit more. Using a glazing technique with 1/2 clear glaze and 1/2 acrylic paint, I wiped it on to give it a used appearance. Let dry and complete with a clear poly finish, my favorite is mineral wax water based no smell and easy clean up.


Turned out wonderful if I do say so myself. Did you see? (picture below) My wonderful husband got me two vintage wagon wheels, I have wanted one for the longest time as home decor and he surprised me with them for the new house. He even placed them in a perfect spot for me, I just wanted to share. Any who I guess I better get, my joyful children have woken from naps in a great mood. Have an inspiring day!



No comments:

Post a Comment