Friday, September 7, 2012

Electrifying

Happy Friday peoples! I've been slacking I know but I come baring a gift of electricity...well not exactly but something that goes along those lines. My husband is an electrician and knows what I have been wanting a spool to get my hands on. Well he came through with one for me I'm hoping he can get me another so we'd have a matching set. I plan to make a settee out of it and wanted to share it with everyone.
 Here is my daughter Jenesis posing, she wanted to help. Well, first off you need a spool make sure the slates are secure. It's just plain ol' wood and I didn't bother with sanding I knew th paint wouldn't have a problem with adhering to the surface. I took a matte black spray paint, one can did it perfectly though next time I will just use a regular instead of a matte because it rubs off I had to use a clear coat too. I did not coat the top as it would be covered anyways.

 On a spool there are nuts and washers on one end that hold the bars that secure the whole thing, I placed that end up so the cushion would cover it and protect any flooring it may be placed on.
 My supplies were spray adhesive, convoluted foam mattress pad(full), upholstery fabric 1 1/2 yards, trimming for the edges you could omit this part if you like. I happened to find this cute pom pom trim that was .75 clearance couldn't pass it up. Originally I wanted to add covered buttons to give it structure, but I had a hard time position them so I nixed that idea (maybe next time).
 To cut the first layer foam I place the spool upside down and cut it out using a x-acto knife much easier than scissors. Then I staggered the remaining layers, if I do another one I will use all the same size. It made it lumpy and wasn't as full as I would have liked. Using spray adhesive I glued each layer together and finally to the spool itself so nothing would shift.

Using a staple gun start at 4 points then work your way around I tucked it up under. Again if I did another I would only go to the edge of it cause any staples would be covered by trim and there wouldn't be as much fabric waste.
 Using what I had on hand I trimmed the bottom then added some ribbon to cover it up. Again using the above suggestion in the future.
 I finished it off with the pom pom trim, I give myself a B- this time. As with anything there is a learning curve and I plan take it to heart for a later date. My kids love it so, it is not a total lose on that regard I plan on placing this in our family room basement when we move in. It is very sturdy and love the upcycling craft of this. Well that is all for today lovey crafters, I hope your weekend is wonderful and you come back next week to see what I have cooked up. Leaving you with a little inspiration for today.




No comments:

Post a Comment