Monday, September 10, 2012

Here fishy, fishy, fishy!

  Greetings and salutations everyone, I am so glad the weekend is over between our fall festival and my sons birthday I don't think I had a spare minute to breath. Though it was all completely worth it the kids had a blast and that's what matters most
  Now back to regular scheduled programming, I am posting my pictures of my sons fish cake that I made for his 2nd birthday. Living at my mother in laws the kids and hubby have been checking the fish trap in her pond and Jace just loves it. It was a no brainer to make his cake, since making one for my sisters shower I have been wanting to try it out more and more.



Here is my little man showing of his number and his cake. Along with my short cake showing I will also include how I made the shirt he is wearing.


I have enjoyed the ups and downs of working with fondant, it's definitely something you just have to jump into and start working with. Tips and tricks from lots of sources are great but when it comes to actually applying it that takes time. I had some left over teal fondant(this stuff stays fresh long if it's properly wrapped) and made some white used small circle cookie cutter to get scales. Covered the whole thing with yellow fondant and staggered the scales little at a time till I got my desired look.
I used 3 throw away 8 inch pans to make the hole thing, marbled cake and the white with blue food coloring it looked liked waves when it was cut. Two pans made the main body and other half made the bubbles along with the tail. This cake was filled with an oreo filling found HERE. I altered the recipe reduced the whip topping to 1 cup and used powdered sugar instead with 3 extra Tbs. (It was so yummy)The cake was a hit and everyone seemed to enjoy it alot I would make the filling again.

So now that I have made everyone hungry, I'll wait a few while you go ahead and grab a snack......Got it? Alright let's continue onto the cute shirt.
I have recently discovered the wonders of freezer paper and I haven't even made a dent in what all can be done. One thing it does make great stencils who'd of thunk it? I should would not have.

 So start up your preferred writing software and figure out what you want your shirt to say and print out a template. Lay your freezer paper glossy/shiny side down this will adhere to your shirt. Using an X-acto knife and cut out your lettering/graphic, if you have an open letter like an A or E save the interior pieces you can iron them on as well. After you get them cut position how you want the stencil and iron into place on your pre-washed item. I used acrylic paint but any fabric paint will do, let it dry then just peal it off. Say what!? It was so easy and I could just imagine all the other things I can use this idea with.
See the above picture for the finished result. Well that's it, I hope you have a chance to try these out sometime. I'm not sure what is in store this week but I can assure you it will rock. Have a great Monday!



No comments:

Post a Comment