Thursday, December 20, 2012

Day 6-8 and an altered cigar box

Ahh wonderful Thursday only a few short days left till Christmas and I have 3 more true love days to share. Days 6-8 IOU back rubs, 7 emails with funny/love notes and 8 tootsie rolls hubby's fave candy.


  See how easy it is not all the days or any of them for that fact have to be uber pricey and it's oh so easy to plan out, its not to late to get started if you want to do the true 12 days they start on Christmas.

  With out further ado I now give you a craft, ta-da! Finally, I know I'm still diligently working on my quilt and haven't sat down to do something small to show.
  So any-who, my mother in law know how I love junk so she asked if I'd like some old boxes three of which are cigar boxes. I did some peeking around and found that altered cigar boxes are quite the to do in the scrap-booking world. I saw the cutest box made into a twilight themed box red and black with a white flower on top for a teen. But alas that wasn't what I was going for, I decided to just go with it. I had some paint, printable sheet music, some misc scrabble letters, and pieces of lace/scraps. I did have these darling wooden spools with a little bit of thread on them, I modge podged over the threads so they weren't going anywhere.

  I painted the cigar box with black acrylic paint, I love how fast it dries. I then sanded the edges, trimmed down my printed music sheet and burnt the edges. *Using a lighter over my sink filled with and inch of water just in case, I slowly burned the edges as desired. I used spray glue and the MP to adhere the paper. I added lace, a muslin flower and my letters "love always" but this has so many wonderful possibilities. 
I plan on using this beauty next to my sewing machine to hold the extra bobbins and thread for what ever project I'm working on at the time. I have two more boxes to experiment on but I am putting them on the back burner for now until my sewing is done.

  I'll be back after the holiday to share our final 12 days with you and maybe finally a finished quilt to display. Hope everyone has a steller Christmas may it be filled with joy, love and laughter with the best of friends along with loved ones. God bless!


 *I forgot to add I found this glue called goop that works well on glass, wood and just about anything but any strong contact glue should work just fine. Used to attach the spools to the box.

No comments:

Post a Comment